- name: March Meetup @ Flexmail - PHP Limburg
- url_friendly_name: march-meetup--flexmail---php-limburg
- start_date: 2019-03-28T00:00:00+01:00
- end_date: 2019-03-28T00:00:00+01:00
- description: Our March Meetup will be hosted by Flexmail (https://flexmail.be). We are thankful they'll open their doors for us. They will provide food & drinks so everyone can come straight after work!
== SCHEDULE ==
18:30 - Open Doors
19:30 - Ike Devolder: Profiling PHP Applications
20:00 - Joop Lammerts: Microservices in a Monolith
20:45 - Raffle & more social
== PARKING ==
There's free parking on other side of street (at least 25 spaces).
== TALKS ==
"Profiling PHP Applications "
Help my client is complaining some parts of the application are slow. Now what?
What is profiling and how can we measure the performance of our application? There are several tools we can use. Once we have the tools, how do we approach profiling. What to look for. And caveats to avoid when profiling. To finish up, we should avoid that our client is complaining about performance, how can we pro actively use profiling to improve our application.
When finished we will end up with a nice toolbox of profiling tools and good ideas how to do profiling and avoid some common mistakes that might distract you from the real optimization.
"Microservices in a Monolith"
Microservices are hot. But what if you have legacy and implementing microservices is nearly impossible. Is this the end of the world? Does this mean you are doomed? No, you can have the best of both worlds.
Our legacy Procurios monolith is 15 years old. Today, we find the costs of splitting that codebase into services too high. And to be completely honest; we benefit too much.
With event sourcing, discipline and hard work we have both the benefits of services and of our big pile of clean code. So let me tell you how you can build independent, mutually unaware applications. On top of that, I’ll share some secret monolith benefits...
== IKE DEVOLDER ==
Ike Devolder is a developer at e-commerce agency Studio Emma. Largely focussed on automating repetitive boring tasks. With our delivery and quality in mind. He’s mostly using PHP, Python and shell scripting to accomplish those goals. From time to time he’s acting as resident git manual.
Besides work Ike is also spending part of his free time in Open Source development and packaging some applications for Arch Linux. As en extra he’s also involved in the organization of PHP-WVL.
== JOOP LAMMERTS ==
Domain Driven Design, Test Driven development and team dynamics are some subjects you can learn about by attending my talks. I’m Joop Lammerts, and I have done web development since the beginning of 2.0. After working in solitude for ages I now found myself surrounded by enthusiastic colleagues.
I’m a typical “home schooled” developer. But it is impossible to work on complex domain models on your own. So I looked for place where I can learn, but still commit to my “no nonsense - it works doesn’t it” approach. I now work with business owners and domain experts on a day to day basis to create happiness among their clients.
In a previous live I’ve been a youth social worker. So i have a great knowledge and experience in the field about group dynamics and working together as a team. I would like to share all my lessons learned with you! So hopefully I will see you at one of my talks.
- href: https://www.meetup.com/PHP-Limburg-BE/events/259360243/
- latitude: 0.0000000000000000
- longitude: 0.0000000000000000
- tz_continent: Europe
- tz_place: Brussels
- location: Flexmail Genk
- contact_name: Gabriel Somoza
- attendee_count: 3
- attending: false
- event_average_rating: 0
- comments_enabled: 1
- event_comments_count: 0
- tracks_count: 0
- talks_count: 2
- talk_comments_count: 0
- 0: profiling
- 1: xdebug
- 2: xhprof
- 3: blackfire
- 4: microservices
- 5: ddd
- 6: php
- uri: https://api.joind.in/v2.1/events/7209
- verbose_uri: https://api.joind.in/v2.1/events/7209?verbose=yes
- comments_uri: https://api.joind.in/v2.1/events/7209/comments
- talks_uri: https://api.joind.in/v2.1/events/7209/talks
- tracks_uri: https://api.joind.in/v2.1/events/7209/tracks
- attending_uri: https://api.joind.in/v2.1/events/7209/attending
- images_uri: https://api.joind.in/v2.1/events/7209/images
- website_uri: https://joind.in/event/march-meetup--flexmail---php-limburg
- all_talk_comments_uri: https://api.joind.in/v2.1/events/7209/talk_comments
- hosts_uri: https://api.joind.in/v2.1/events/7209/hosts
- attendees_uri: https://api.joind.in/v2.1/events/7209/attendees
- can_edit: false